Indian Railways is the most prominent transport system in India. One of the largest railway networks in world is Indian Railways. Indian Railways is an exemplary and lifeline transport system in India. Its services are touching the huge and populated nation India. Its services are widely spread across every corner of India, even in remote areas also. It is the easiest, useful and accessible travel system for Indian citizens and foreign tourists. It is the famous organization in India.
Indian Railways maintains the large number of railway stations and employees. It helps the many Indian citizens and tourists for their business or personal traveling needs. Indian Railways is the reliable, safest, secure and inexpensive traveling system in India. Most Indian citizens are believed and put their faith on Indian Railways. From last 160 years, Indian Railways is improving their services day by day and become most prominent transport system in world.
Top 10 Interesting Facts about Indian Railways
There is few interesting fact about Indian Railways, which lot of people don’t know. Here, we provide few interesting facts about Indian railway transport system and those are:
- India’s First Transport Train – ‘Red Hill Railway’ is the first transport train in India. It was started in 1837. It is run from Red Hills to the Chintadripet Bridge in Madras. It is built by Arthur Cotton to transport granite for road-building.
- India’s First Passenger Train – It was started on 16 April 1853. It was run between Bori Bunder (Mumbai) and Thane. It is run for 34 kilometers with the capacity of 400 passengers. It was operated by Great Indian Peninsula Railway.
- India’s First Eastern Passenger Train – It was started on 15 August 1854. It was run between Howrah, Kolkata to Hoogly.
- India’s First South India Passenger Train – It was started on 1 July 1856. It was run between Royapuram – Veyasarapady, Madras to Wallajabad, Arcot. It is run almost 97 kilometers.
- India’s First Railway Bridge – It was built on Thane Creek in May 1854. This railway bridge was constructed due to extend the railway line from Thane, Mumbai to Kalyan.
- India’s Fastest Train – ‘Shatabdi Train’ is the India’s fastest train. It is running from Bhopal to New Delhi. The maximum speed of Shatabdi train is 15 Kmph.
- Longest Route Travel Train In India – Vivek Express is the longest route travel train in India. It is running from Kanyakumari to Dibrugarh. It travels almost 4286 kilometers. The estimated time to reach from Dibrugarh to Kanyakumari is around 82 Hours and 30 minutes.
- Longest Railway Platform In India – The longest railway station platform in India is Gorakhpur Railway Station, Uttar Pradesh. It is the world longest platform.
- India’s Longest Station Name – ‘Venkatanarasimharajuvariipeta Railway station’ is the longest station name in India. The total letters in Venkatanarasimharajuvariipeta is 29 letters. It is situated in Andhra Pradesh. It is also located near Tamil Nadu border.
- India’s Shortest Station Name – ‘IB Railway station’ is the shortest station name in entire India. The total letters in IB railway station is two. It is situated in Odisha. The name was put for this railway station was the name of IB River.
- India’s First Electric Train – It was started in 3 February 1925.It was run between Bombay Victoria Terminal and Kurla Harbour.
- India’s First Bullet Train – The high speed or bullet train is under construction. It will run from Mumbai to Ahmedabad. It was the India’s first high speed railway line in India. And also first bullet train India. It was the best milestone in Indian Railways. The bullet train responsibility was taken by National High Speed Corporation Limited.
- India’s Slowest Train – The slowest train in India is Mettupalayam Ooty Nilgiri Passenger Train. It is run almost 46 Kilometers. Mettupalayam Ooty Nilgiri Passenger train is traveling in hill area, so its travel time almost 5 hours. The speed of the Mettupalayam Ooty Nilgiri Passenger train is 10 Kmph.
- India’s First Computerized Reservation – India’s first computerized reservation system was started in 1986. It was started in New Delhi.
- India’s Longest Railway Network – It fourth longest railway network in world by size. It covers across every corner of India. It is running under the authorization of Ministry of Railways, Government of India. The route length of Indian Railways is 67956 Kilometers. In which 45881 Kilometers are electrified.
- India’s Longest Railway Junction – The longest railway junction in India is Mathura Junction. Mathura Junction has 10 platforms. It has the connectivity to all major cities in India.
- India’s Rail Museum –There are eight rail museums in India and those are Pune, Mysore, Chennai, Tiruchirappalli, Kanpur, Ghum, Kolkata and Delhi. Delhi museum is the most famous and popular museum in India. Delhi museum is also largest rail museum in Asia.
- India’s Oldest Working Locomotive – The Fairy Queen is the most attractive locomotive. It is the world’s oldest working locomotive. The Fairy Queen was manufactured in 1855. In 1972, the Government of India has given heritage status to The Fairy Queen. It has also placed in the Guinness Book of Records.
- India’s Most Luxury Train – The Maharaja’s Express is the most luxury train in India. Not only in India. The Maharaja’s Express is the most expensive train in Asia.
Top 10 Facts about Indian Railways
The top 10 facts of Indian Railways are given below:
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus and The Indian Mountain Railways are included in the UNESCO World Heritage site list.
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus architecture is classic fusion of Gothic art with Indian architecture.
- Kalka Shimla Railway, Himalayan Railways and Nilgiri Mountain Railways are the Indian Mountain Railways. These trains are hill trains and running from almost 100 years.
- The Maharajas’ Express, Royal Rajasthan on Wheels, The Deccan Odyssey, Palace on Wheels and The Golden Chariot are the luxury trains running by Indian Railways in India.
- Chenab was the world’s highest rail bridge in India, which was constructing by The Indian Railways.
- Pir Panjal Railway tunnel in Jammu and Kashmir is the longest tunnel in India.
- Howrah junction in Kolkata is the most busies railway junction in India. Almost 974 trains are stopped in Howrah Railway junction.
- Bholu was the mascot for the Indian Railways. Bholu was designed by National Institute in 2002.
- Red Ribbon Express was started in 1 December 2007 by Indian Railways. Red Ribbon Express was the symbol for AIDS awareness campaign train.
- National Railway Museum is located in New Delhi. It is the largest rail museum in Asia.